The adventures of Cam

Hello and welcome to a world where funny, crazy and unexpected things happen... after a hard year getting my Masters Degree and having a crazy Summer in London, I decided to go and work for the South Korean government on several teaching projects (Comm Design & English) for a private design middle school
and design university... my new adventure has begun!




Sunday 6 September 2009

Preparing for school

Its been another great week here in Korea and have been shown some nice places to hang out. Monday to Wednesday consisted of me making an introductory lesson for the students, which I will execute this week. Thursday and Friday, I was at Siheung middle school for some mentoring with a Canadian teacher currently posted there. The kids are a little crazy here but all great fun to be around. The korean co-teachers were great, one of them (Jay) is hilarious and shares her homemade dishes with me in the office. The other (Soyoung) is bubbly and fun. I was curious as to why so many of the teachers were not married, as they are very pretty-but they soon educated me on the social calibre of a relationship in the eyes of a korean man and how social life here is based on hierarchy.

I taught the 3rd graders (16yr olds) on Friday.....after class a group of boys and girls came to me and said "teacher Cam, how long do I need to stay in the sun so I can have dark skin like yours?" After about a minute of laughing to myself, I kindly told them it was impossible, to which they were pretty dissapointed, haha!

Friday night, I went out partying with 10 korean friends at a karaoke bar (not the british type of settings....this is completely different!) which was cool, we were out celebrating one of the girls bday's, but only 2 of the girls spoke english, so they were designated translators for the night! The night ended up with all the guys breaking tiles to win prizes for the girls.....I was a little concerned I wouldn't be able to break them all in one hit, but surprised myself, and everyone else!

Saturday, was relaxing and had lunch at Jennifer's parents house before driving down to Isadong for drink (its the Notting Hill of Korea). We had tickets to go and watch the football game between South Korea and Australia...it was a nice turnout in what was to be my first time visiting a football stadium EVER! Needless to say it was fun (although a little strange-it looks much more real on tv). We decided to head into Gangnam and then ended up finding a really cool restaurant/bar in Apgujeong.
So today me and Jennifer drove down to the COEX shopping centre to watch a movie and get some clothes (btw, the fashion out here is heaven for women, you can get the nicest high quality clothes for as little as £5, its crazy!). Tried to sort out my cell phone but need to get my registration card next week.....the phones out here are crazy-I have never seen phones this advanced, i think the iphone was the most advanced thing id seen in Europe, but out here....the phones would seriously blow your mind!
....so now im finishing off my plan for the week and then its an early night (not liking the 6:30 wake-up slots).

No comments:

Post a Comment